| 
  • If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • You already know Dokkio is an AI-powered assistant to organize & manage your digital files & messages. Very soon, Dokkio will support Outlook as well as One Drive. Check it out today!

View
 

Through the decades: 1960

Page history last edited by Social Policy Library 5 days, 5 hours ago

 

Home page 1930  1940  1950  1960  1970  1980  1990  2000  2010

 

1961 1962196319641965 1966196719681969

 

Children & Families 

Membership of the Fitzroy Children’s & Youth Centre rose to 300. The Centre is staffed by two full-time and two part-time staff members and thirty voluntary leaders.  The Centre opens at 3 pm each day until 5 pm for children under 9 years.  The 6.30 Club is for children 9 to 14 years. “ On the first Sunday in each month, children are taken to the beach or to the country and after a picnic tea they return to the Centre for a children’ service.”  Two Youth Club members completed leadership training courses and film projector operators courses and took on responsibility of voluntary leadership in the Children’s Club (BSL 1960, Annual Report, p.8-9).

 

Victorian Government advised the BSL that its subsidies for the Family Service Project would cease at the end of 1960. Consequently the regular visiting of families and more intensive casework was gradually reduced.  The initial project had been expanded in 1956 at the request of the Government and with Government subsidy. The closure was seen as possibly benefiting some families who could then rely on their own resources.  Others needed continuing support and, in the absence of any organisation able to provide this, might disintegrate in crisis situations (BSL, Brotherhood News, March 1965; BSL 1961, Annual Report, p.5).

 

Holiday camps arranged for 254 children, including Apex camps organised by Albury and Wangaratta Apex Clubs, and 130 children were taken on beach picnics (BSL 1961, Annual Report, pp.7-8). 

 

Community Issues 

Housing Priorities published in November to highlight certain aspects of the Commonwealth-States Housing Agreement (BSL 1961, Annual Report, 961, p.2).

 

A Social Worker from the Social Service Bureau commenced work in the West Heidelberg area, working in close cooperation with the clergy and other social welfare people in the area (BSL 1960, Annual Report, p.2). 

 

Fundraising & Resources 

BSL Commitment made to assist an Indian welfare or development project through the Food for Peace Campaign, but still to be decided (BSL 1961, Annual Report, p.2).

 

The Staff Auxiliary of Georges Ltd. made a second gift of £2,000 to the Cottage Endowment Fund bringing the number of cottages endowed in perpetuity to five (the amount of £1000 endowed a cottage in perpetuity). (BSL 1959, Annual Report, p.10)

 

The Carrum Downs Settlement Residents’ Committee, through the Industries Subcommittee, filled 143,000 envelopes for General Motors-Holden of Dandenong with the income contributing to the running of the Settlement (BSL 1960, Annual Report, p. 11)

Four new Auxiliaries commence - Croydon, Sunshine, the Sewing Group and Wangaratta (the first country Auxiliary), giving a total of twenty-one (BSL 1960, Annual Report, p. 14).

 

Seven Opportunity Shops in operation - Fitzroy, Royal Arcade in the City, St. Albans, Malvern, Dandenong, Mornington and North Melbourne (BSL 1960, Annual Report, p. 11).   

 

 

Older People 

BSL receives approximately 600 enquiries each year for accommodation (BSL 1960, Annual Report, p. 5)  

 

St Laurence Park grows to 17 cottages, including a staff house and Father Tucker’s home, with Geelong Apex Club and Geelong Grammar School boys each building a cottage.  Applications were received from all over Victoria, with priority given to applicants in the Geelong and surrounding districts (BSL 1960, Annual Report, p. 5). 

 

Planting of 2,500 trees and shrubs completed at St Laurence Park with help from Geelong Grammar boys (BSL 1960, Annual Report, p. 6).

 

Contract let for the construction of the first 18 flats at Keble Court, Glenlyon Road, East Brunswick (BSL 1960, Annual Report, p. 8).

Fr Tucker inspecting progress with Miss E. Little, Mrs R. Wilson (President of the Voluntary Helpers' Shop - Camberwell) and Miss A. Jones

 

Organisational aspects (BSL) 

BSL consultation with American social worker Alice Overton to aid in assessment of services and clarification of the aims and methods of the Family Service Project (BSL 1961, Annual Report, p.5); Hughes HM 1967, A Survey of Anglican social work agencies, p.58).

Until June 1959 Alice Overton served as director of the Family Centered Project of St. Paul. She wrote in an article entitled: "Serving Families Who 'Don't Want Help'" that first the family needs to gain a positive feeling toward authority through close contacts with a worker who shows the family members great respect. Next, there must be some exploration into how and why the family feels their animosity toward authority. Then, the worker should help the family develop the realization that it is themselves that they are hurting through their hostile behavior. Finally, the worker, together with the family, helps them to decide on some more appropriate ways to get along with authority figures." (Frohmader GT, "Family Courts", Minnesota WelfareVol.14 Fall, 1962 No.3-A pp.23-24).

See Alice Overton obituary

 

Presentations & Publications 

  • Miss Nell Rawlins, the Brotherhood’s Auxiliary Organiser conducts a program of BSL news and comments from 3XY every Friday at 1.45 pm ((BSL 1960, Annual Report, p. 11). 

 

 

 

Young People 

Extensions to the Youth Club officially opened by Mr Bruce Hall, President of Melbourne Apex Club and Mr Pat Loftus, past Public Relations Officer of the Victorian Association of Youth Clubs.  Youth Club meeting times extended to Saturday mornings between 10 am and 1 pm. Opened in August 1960, the extensions, carried out by the Melbourne Apex Club and Youth Club members, provided additional space by removing a wall between two rooms and installing a coffee bar in the sitting room. (BSL 1961, Annual Report, pp.6-7)  

 

Members of the Youth Club broadcasted from radio station 3YC (YC Stands for Youth Club). They broadcasted over a limited network, within the Children and Youth Centre at Head office in Fitzroy.[1] (BSL Notes, October 1960 (No. 144) p.3)

East Preston Youth & Community Centre established at a Public Meeting convened by the Mayor of Preston in September following the Housing Commission’s decision to cease supporting the BSL’s work after June 1961.  The BSL offers to provide a Youth Leader for two years as its contribution (BSL 1960, Annual Report, p. 10).

Footnotes

  1. Newspaper Article: 3YC calling..Youth on the "air", The Sun, 26/07/1960, & BSL Notes, October 1960 no 144, page 3.

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.